tracking

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe to Southwest Florida Forks

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dinner at Fancy's Southern Cafe






is a restaurant located in Fort Myers, FL. The name seems to be at odds with the outer appearance of the restaurant, but as my grandmother would say to me "You Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover". Fancy's serves Southern Inspired Cuisine, which is a mishmosh of Southeastern American Indian and African among others cuisines.

As you enter Fancy's there is a very warm and inviting bar area,


and as you continue on, a comparable dining area.



Fancy's has an open air kitchen


which my Dining Companion (DC) and I sat across from. Unwittingly, this allowed me to photograph a few of the restaurant's dishes other than that what DC and I ordered.

They have many great looking dishes on their Dinner Menu and here were a few of them. All but two of the entree orders come with a choice of two Sides, either a starch or vegetable.



crab cakes topped with fried green tomatoes, corn relish and Petal Sauce,



a deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie,


meatloaf topped with onions and a ketchup sauce and served with black eyed peas and Collard Greens,


a Rib Eye Steak topped with onions, mushrooms and garlic butter and served with green beans (Southern Style), mashed potatoes and gravy


and that Southern Triple Bypass dining classic, Chicken and Waffles, topped with fried sweet potato ribbons.


DC and I tried a few of the things on the menu.

The first was the pork Spare Rib starter and was about half a Rack of ribs, perfect for a taste.


The ribs were very well cooked, the meat falling off the bone. This dish was served with a traditional Barbecue and "honey hot" sauce. The latter sauce was really interesting  It is made from diluted honey, corn starch and the only hot sauce a self-respecting Southerner would have, Crystal. Both DC and I agreed these were pretty good.

I ordered the catfish.

The catfish (breaded with corn meal and fried) was topped with corn relish and Remoulade sauce with a bit of Arugula on the side. I picked collards and spicy Cole Slaw, the slaw probably made spicy with a bit of Crystal hot sauce.

DC had Pot Roast.

The flavor was very "beefy" and delicious, and came with carrots and potatoes. DC ordered some very Savory Cheese Grits and a bit of Sweet Potato Souffle as sides. I do not have much of a sweet tooth but nonetheless, I thought the potatoes were not bad.

The food DC and I sampled at Fancy's was very good, and I will be back to try some of the items I saw being served from their kitchen. I was told they have a lady's night Tuesdays, with 1/2 price starters and an extended happy hour discount on beverages. If you are a fan of Southern Cuisine and dine here, I'm sure y'all will enjoy it as much as DC and I did.




Another good meal and another post on Forks.

Fancy's Southern Cafe
 8890 Salrose Lane
Fort Myers, FL 33912
(239)561-2988


Post a Comment