tracking

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe to Southwest Florida Forks

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Dinner at Reuben's Smokehouse and Jazz at SBDAC

Friday, March 20th was the first day of Spring. My dining companion (DC) and I decided to celebrate with some food and music.

We chose to try Reuben's Smokehouse.


This was in part because at present it is rated #2 of all Fort Myers Restaurants on Tripadvisor.

As you walk into Reuben's, they have an open air kitchen,



which I have always liked as I think it helps diners connect a bit better with their food. When you think about it, the Japanese have been doing this successfully for years with their Teppanyaki cooking.

The dining area is small but homey (love the light fixtures).


If you need to and don't want to wait for a table, there is shared seating as well.


Now for the food. DC and I ordered a number of items from the "barbecue" menu, which comes with 2 sides.  Beaten To The Punch, DC ordered the pulled pork plate. Drat!


I have always been of the opinion that one of the true tests of smoked meats is that they can stand by themselves. That is be good without the addition of any sauces, like the meats served Here, where I have been lucky enough to dine at.
Although good, I didn't think this dish could do that. The saving grace of this dish was the side of black beans. The black beans that were served with this dish were excellent, nicely flavored with sausage. I tried some of DC's side salad,


just o.k.

I ordered the beef Brisket.


This was a different story. This was one of the better brisket dishes I have ever had and was great without any condiments. The green beans I ordered were also really good, seasoned with garlic, onions, white wine and bacon. The Cole Slaw was really fresh, almost "bright" but a bit sweet for my taste.
All of the barbecue plates come with bread and strawberry jam made in house.

Talking about condiments, you can have a number of Barbecue Sauces to put on your food if you wish, all made in house.


From left to right, there is a vinegar based sauce, a sweet sauce, a pineapple-Habanero sauce (my favorite) and a mustard-based sauce.

On the whole, I thought the food was not bad and would like to go back and try a few more items. At least for me, it seemed like hit and miss that day.

Now for the music.



is an iconic, Neo Classical-Styled art center in Fort Myers, FL. For an interesting bit of history on SBDAC, go Here.

They host a number of different Events. The event that evening was a jazz concert by Grammy Award nominee, Carla Cook, and friends. I did not anticipate this, but was glad I bought tickets in advance as it was sold out by the day of the performance.

As attendees waited for the performance to begin,


there was a cash bar and a few nibbles. The ZU girls were there as well,




providing patrons samples of Zu Vodka. I was unfamiliar with this brand, and asked if it was zoo, and was told no, "Z-U".  Well, Z-U too I thought, and went to go find a seat.

The performance was excellent



and I really enjoyed being in the shadow of these wonderfully talented musicians.


After the show the crowd gave them an almost obligatory standing ovation,


and as I walked outside


I considered myself lucky to see such quality entertainment that evening. Ms. Cook and friends may be back next year. If they come back go see them, they will not disappoint.

That's that for another post on Forks.

Reuben's Smokehouse
11506 S. Cleveland Ave.
Fort Myers, FL 33907
(239)931-0420

Reuben' Smokehouse on Urbanspoon

The Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center
2301 First St.
Fort Myers, FL 33901
(239)333-1933
Post a Comment